ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend Notes

Scott Reed

Duck Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 17, 2003
Putting Inside Read out now for everyone. Official article up in the morning, but here is the text:

RECRUITING NOTES:

While it would seem rather frivolous to continue the old weather negative recruiting tactic against Oregon – it still happens more regularly than people think. For the most part, elite football prospects don’t care that much about weather; if you want to play in any big time conference, you are going to face adverse weather at times.

Yet, the pervasiveness of the Oregon weather myth continues in some circles. There is a reason that June visits work well in recruiting for Oregon – when it is unbearably hot in other parts of the country, it is generally pretty mild and pleasant in the Willamette Valley. It was mid-70s and mostly sunny all weekend and that made for some fantastic outdoor festivities by the staff with the recruits in town for official visits.

While there is always the need to address ‘concerns’ in the minds of athletes, the staff understands that weather is not – and should not be – the primary focus of a football program. If that is the best ‘difference maker’ a program has to attempt to distance themselves from Oregon, they are missing a prime opportunity to sell what truly matters – development. That includes personal, academic, and athletic development.

This was the primary focus of the staff with family over the weekend and it resonated very well with those who made the trip. Let’s take a look at some of the key visitors from the weekend and how the weekend impacted their recruitment.

We will get right to it with the one most people are clamoring to know about. The visit was a home run; in fact, it was a grand slam. Every question, every concern was answered. The atmosphere is something that we already knew the family loved and the family culture was deeply impactful.

Was it enough? If you ask Texas insiders they are going to tell you it was not enough. But even they will concede that the Ducks did a lot to make the family think during this visit and that Oregon is in a better position than they were a week ago.

I think that it is intriguing no one has suddenly flooded any predictions ahead of Moore’s decision. Do I think he commits to Oregon? I do not. But I also don’t think that this one will be over after his commitment

While the visit went very well, I still think that Oregon is a long shot. Baseball is going to matter to Williams and seeing Texas A&M playing in the College World Series final is something he feels Oregon is still not close to just yet.

Oregon did a lot here to make up ground with Ohio State. There are some that feel Oregon has moved into a driver’s seat with McNutt but I am not quite there yet. Ohio State is going to be tough to beat for in-state elite talent and – while the culture and opportunities at Oregon are really something that appeals to McNutt – it is still going to be tough to pull him away. If anyone can do it right now it is the Ducks.

Folks inside the Hatfield-Dowlin Complex felt very good about the plan that was given to McNutt and felt a strong sense of confidence following the visit. This one could get very interesting and I do like everything Oregon has done.

If Oregon was in the state of Floirda, Pickett would likely already be committed. Having him in town at the same time as Dallas Wilson made an impact, but I just think distance will be a factor here and that eventually, Pickett stays in-state.

Oregon has done a fantastic job with Terry and has put themselves in the best position possible. While Texas could still land Moore, I don’t see them landing both Moore and Terry (or Oregon for that matter) so I do feel good about everything Oregon has done to land the No. 73 overall player in the nation.

There are some who feel he might see an opportunity as a running back in Eugene, but that is not really something that is likely for the 6-3, 216-pound athlete who is likelyu to be a matchup nightmare form the line of scrimmage.

Short and sweet: I would be very surprised if Brame chose anyone other than Oregon. I have heard that there was a commitment made during the weekend. I was not told any names, but it would not surprise me at all if that came from Brame.

I think that it seems more and more likely Linkon Cure commits to Kansas State in the near future. That is the reason Edwards was in town and the Ducks do like his athleticism.

He had a great time in Eugene and loved the atmosphere, the program, the players, staff, facilities, and the plan for his future. Normally that gets a lot of people on board, but I still think that Gaston winds up elsewhere. Ducks had to take a shot, but this one was always going to be extremely difficult.

Oregon did everything right. Another visit that could be called a grand slam for the Ducks. The Ducks have done a lot to recruit the LSU commit and have placed themselves right in the thick of things.

He is still officially committed to LSU, but is giving very real consideration to Oregon and Texas as well. I like the ground the Ducks made up here and this one could take several months to play out before we know for sure. That he has not officially decommitted gives pause to making any predictions, but the Ducks have a chance here.

This is another recruit I think could be the commit from the weekend. Dunn loved everything about Eugene and the staff. This was really a chance for him to get his plan and path and everything presented was a vision he and his family felt was a perfect fit for the OL from Utah.

Even if he did not officially commit over the weekend, this is one I think Oregon lands when all is said and done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News