ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday War Room: Tomorrow's recruiting notes

Scott Reed

Duck Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 17, 2003
RECRUITING NOTES:

- The news that Bennett Warren will not be visiting in June as originally planned should be taken as a positive that the Oregon staff feels good about the current offensive line commits and a couple of others that are higher on the board for the Ducks.

- The two biggest pieces of the OL board still out there for Oregon are Jac’Qawn McRoy and Brandon Baker. The Ducks are in a great position to land both of them which would take Oregon to four offensive linemen. From there the Ducks will look to add one or two more, but those are going to be interior players like Eugene Brooks.

- Another name to keep in mind is Preston Taumua. The Ducks have a solid history with recent offensive linemen from Hawaii and that is a part of what has caught the attention of the 6-4, 317-pound junior from Aiea (HI) High School. When we first spoke to Preston in January, he was unrated – now he s a four-star rated as the No. 187 overall player in the nation. He is going to be an interior lineman and the Ducks have done a fantastic job here. It would not surprise me to see Oregon be the choice when he is ready to commit.

- A final interior OL name to remember is Clackamas (OR) High School offensive lineman Devin Brooks. He has good size (6-4, 300) and the staff does like him. The longer he waits to make a commitment, the more I like the Ducks here.

- One name at wide receiver we have not talked about much yet is Jack Ressler. Ressler has been to Oregon many times including a trip for the Spring Game last month. He said after the visit that “what stands out and seems to stand out, even more, every time I go, is the culture that coach Dan Lanning built in such a short period of time.”

Despite how crazy it can be during a Spring Game environment with recruits, all of the activities, the fan engagement, the military celebration, and other games, Ressler came away impressed with the staff – especially two coaches. “On a very busy day, Coach Lanning and Coach Junior Adams took the time to meet with myself and my family. That really stood out to me that they appreciate my skill set.” While Ressler is listed as a three-star, on a very good team he caught 42 passes for 534 yards and four touchdowns last season for Mater Dei. He is also well-connected on the recruiting scene and has a strong profile among other elite recruits.

- When Aaron Butler committed to Colorado, it may have come as a surprise to some, but there was more to the story that led to that choice. The Oregon coaches absolutely see him as an elite defensive back and that is where they were recruiting him (as were most schools), but Butler wants to play wide receiver and the Buffaloes were much more willing to put him there. He can be very good on offense, but I think as a defensive back he would be one of the best of the best.

- You might start seeing some offers that seem curious; but when you see a three-star with offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Toledo, and UT Martin get a Duck offer without a quick commitment, keep in mind that the staff has to be prepared and are always looking for that diamond in the rough. Also, remember that these lower-rated recruits could really blow up at a smaller school in be in the portal within a year or two, so some of these offers are like placeholders. It is difficult to say which are committable offers without getting direct quotes from the staff and there are far too many of these kinds of offers to text someone every time a new offer pops onto the radar.

All for now!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News