ADVERTISEMENT

Updated thoughts on Cristobal/Miami; OC stuff

Scott Reed

Duck Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 17, 2003
It was a long day today. After neglecting my wife for the last few weekends, after I got back to town, we went to dinner and did some shopping. Just getting back home now.
Cristobal:
- As I mentioned either last week or the week before, the Oregon deal is in the $7-8 mil range.
- If Miami tries to go $9mil or above, based on what I have heard, I do not think Oregon matches
- Like MRSp said, PERS matters to these guys and cannot be underestimated as part of the long term package
- While the Miami job is 'home' and Cristobal's alma mater, there are a lot of structural and facilities issues that will take quite some time to fix. Even if they get Radakovich from Clemson, we are talking a 5-10 year period in which the facilities and structure will still be subpar compared to others;
- There ARE, however, a couple of people I spoke with inside the athletic department that feel the pull of family might be enough. Should Miami decide to fire Manny Diaz and make an offer, the Hurricanes might be able to simply match the Oregon offer and get him.
- I think Cristobal will be torn. I have said time and time again that I have heard how much he and his family love it in Oregon. Crisobal feels committed to the program and really does feel that they are about to turn a corner; I think he knows that this team was maybe a QB away from a much more meaningful season. If Herbert had been on this team, chances are they are undefeated.
- Cristobal and the rest of the staff hit the road for recruiting today. So anyone who thought that he would fly straight back and interview was inaccurate.
- Anyone who looks at Wikipedia for proof of anything does not understand how it works. Literally anyone can change it to anything they want, screen cap it and make it look like something.
- There was NOT a deal in place; not even in principle; prior to last night.
- I won't put out names unless a change is actually made. If Manny Diaz is still the Miami head coach on Monday, that is probably a good sign for Oregon.

OC:

I have not had a ton of time to dig into OC possibilities deeply, but there are some things to consider:

- There is the potential that the Ducks look to create some semblance of stability and give co-coordinator titles to Jim Mastro and Bryan McClendon. McClendon has called plays in the past (though he was fired from that role) and would present an aura of stability. Do I think this would be a good move? No. But I don't get to make the call and it is something that could happen. In this case, Oregon could probably go out and get a really good QB coach to join the group (like, say, maybe Bret Elliot).

- Some familiar names from the last round are going to show up. Will Hall, Rob Chudzinski and Chip Long. I don't see it with Hall or Long; but could see Chudzinski

- But I think that there are some other names that have come up so I will list them
Warren Ruggerio: Unlikely and I don't think he would be a good fit anyway
Jason Beck: His head coach just stepped down so let's see. I like Beck. Not sure on likelihood
Zak Hill: I have already mentioned him once and I think he might get another look this time. The ASU situation is bad and Hill is from Portland area. He is a good QB tutor and has shown some proclivity for good play calling. Is he a home run? No; but he is a solid double.
Dan Mullen: Say what you will about some of his quirks (okay, his wife's quirks), he is a very good offensive mind. Would this be a good fit? Maybe. Cristobal has show he is not afraid to bring former HCs as coordinators.
Jeff Lebby: Stop. not happening.
Joey Halzle: I think it is too early to make him a coordinator, but the thought of having him as QB coach with someone like Chud or the two headed Co-Coordinator concept would be really, really intriguing. He was with Heupl at UCF and now Tennessee, so it may take something more than some more money for a lateral move, but I think he has a really bright future

This one is early and more will come up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News