ADVERTISEMENT

Tomorrow in Flock Talk

Scott Reed

Duck Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 17, 2003
I reflect on the harsh reality of a season that is canceled.

Some of you probably know this, some do not; but I was a distance runner in high school. I was coached by Steve McChesney and friends with his younger brother Kenny. I knew Bill (Jr) and his wife and became close with Bill, Sr. and Marcia McChesney over many years.

Today I remembered that Bill Jr. also had opportunity stripped in 1980. He felt a lot of pain and anguish and I reflect a bit on that tomorrow.

Having opportunity taken away - whether it be a political decision like the Olympics, or a public health issue like this - can be devastating. I spent a lot of time around the McChesney family and I know that there was always that lingering pain of having the Olympics taken away; but over time, they remembered all of the good far more than the bad. Bill was a tremendous distance runner and I think would have had a triumphant return as a marathoner had the tragic car accident not taken his life.

Bill Sr. and Marcia were a tremendous influence on me as a man and human being. Both were always so gracious and loving that I carry their love in all I do; Steve was my coach and I consider him a mentor to this day as well as a brother.

Kenny, my closest friend Chris and I used to have 'iron man' contests at the McChesney house going from hot tub to pool and back in the dead of winter. We were just stupid kids back then.

Why did this all flood my brain today? because I rewatched Sabrina's senior day speech where she talked about everglow and how her unfinished business turned out to not be about winning at all -- but having been given a blueprint to life.

Life is hard sometimes. Things happen that are unfair. Somehow, the best of the best overcome those inequities to live their best life. Sabrina and her teammates have gone through a lot this year. Their journey made them something more important than champions; it made them strong women. Along the way, they learned a lot of life lessons and gave Duck fans a lot of really good memories.

I have decided to not lament what might have been and instead will celebrate what was. I hope others join me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News