ADVERTISEMENT

The 2022 QB room...

A.J. Jacobson

Duck Hall of Famer
Staff
Apr 3, 2002
Eugene, Oregon
This is going to be very strange year indeed.

I think the addition of Bo Nix via transfer will have two effects; the Ducks probably won't sign a QB this cycle, and the probability somebody leaves is much higher.

In terms of signing somebody, they probably weren't going to anyway with Tanner Bailey flipping away. But Nix transferring in almost makes it like they already signed somebody for this class, at least in the minds of recruits. They could still sign a guy but I'm not exactly sure who is left that would make it a good move this year.

I also think it makes it much more likely one or more of the existing QB's transfers. I don't think any position is more sensitive to the depth chart than QB's, particularly if coaches show they only play one and don't give others playing time. QB's may have transferred anyway since the guys that recruited them are gone, but Nix adds to that for sure.

So I will give DSA odds on transfers.

Ty Thompson: He is a guy who really loved Oregon as a recruit and that probably is still the case. But there is no way he had a great football experience this year. He could stick it out and it will be great if he does. DSA transfer odds: 35.31429%

Jay Butterfield: I think Butterfield might have been thinking of transfer if Thompson won the start in spring. But with Nix probably ahead of him on the chart now, and Thompson too, it might be too much for him. DSA transfer odds: 45.93097%

Robby Ashford: Robby has some things to look at besides football with his baseball ability. Ashford was third or fourth string QB this season, and would have been second or third before Nix heading into spring. I think if he is No. 4 after spring he might seriously look around, or go back into baseball here or somewhere else. DSA transfer odds: 39.10113%

The over/under for QB transfers from those three = 1.0

Reactions: twellnitz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News