ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the PAC-12 Coaches

Dale Newton

Duck Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2013
How would you rank the PAC-12's football coaches?

Who do you consider to be underrated?

Overrated?

Headed for the hot seat?

The more I watch Mario Cristobal, the stronger I feel that he's destined to move up this list. He's driven and intelligent. He's sincere, relates well to players and their families. He's a relentless recruiter. He's hired/retained a tremendous staff. He's systematic, has a specific, detailed plan and works the plan with superlative energy. After tutoring under the best in Nick Saban, the new Oregon coach is ready in his second shot to be a winning head coach. He's gone from a situation where he had the worst support and facilities in college football to the best--from having sanctions, no practice facility and a downtrodden team to an organization primed for success at a high level.

Other observations: they're ready to deify Chris Petersen in Seattle, but he's lost 17 games in four seasons as Husky coach, 12 in the first two years. He's not in the Mountain West anymore. He's a good coach, a very good coach, but he's no Urban Meyer or Saban, in my opinion.

Clay Helton is mediocre. The Trojans will always have a talent advantage, but will continue to perform a little bit below their talent level.

Here's my stab at ranking the PAC:

1. David Shaw
2. Kyle Wittingham
3. Mike Leach
4. Chris Petersen
5. Chip Kelly
6. Kevin Sumlin
7. Mario Cristobal
8. Mike MacIntyre
9. Josh Wilcox
10. Clay Helton
11. Herman Edwards