ADVERTISEMENT

Player demands...a few thoughts...

A.J. Jacobson

Duck Hall of Famer
Staff
Apr 3, 2002
Eugene, Oregon
First of all I have wildly mixed emotions on this whole thing. I was raised to just play ball and to do with the coaches said and work as hard as you possibly could and be as good as you possibly could. However, nobody ever made big money off of me playing football, and the only health risk I had was from injury.

On one hand, I can see where these guys are coming from. They do have concerns about their health, even though they are small, they are still real. And I also think that this is part of a larger conversation they have been wanting to have for a long time. They're looking at this time of turmoil and strife as the perfect opportunity to try to get some of their demands met. And it may well be the perfect time. I'm amazed at all the concessions these athletes from all sports and all levels have been getting.

I think some of their demands are quite reasonable. I think the health insurance especially because the schools can afford it and the guys deserve it after playing. I think they should get as many years of health insurance as they played or something of that nature.

I don't want the social justice part. I don't think that's appropriate unless they are going to allow all points of view and not just approved ones.

I also don't think it is appropriate to pay amateur athletes. Many school simply can't afford it and the ones that can Will have a much better chance to recruit. I think the scholarship and all the other goodies that come with being college football player should be the same as it's always been in terms of the bargain.

I know they have a bunch of more issues, and I think some of them are kind of outlandish like the revenue-sharing especially. Demanding that coaches take pay cuts I think is also silly.

We will see where this all leads. It is certainly a time of great turmoil and change, and I don't think sports are going to emerge the same as they were before the pandemic and the social protests and rioting that erupted in the middle of the health crises.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News