ADVERTISEMENT

Northwest Kayaking Is Always in Season

Tar Heel Gone Duck

Duck Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2011
Some of the best whitewater in the world in right here, in our backyard. In my younger days I ran a ton of rivers, mostly rafting and inflatable kayaking--not even close to the LWS Race competitors, below. Any kayakers or rafters out there?

One of the world's best rivers is the Little White Salmon, not to be confused with the White Salmon, both in the Col R Gorge, on the Washington side. The PNW has produced some of the world's best slalom, free style and extreme boaters.

Here's a sweet little video of an earlier "Little White "race event. It captures the camaraderie, beauty and intensity of the sport. Nice tunes too. The 2017 event video is watchable on Facebook, I think. The best extreme kayakers are young and tend to be small, light weight, staying above the hydro at all times.

Here's one of a Norwegian and a Brit, both Olympic Class guys, along with some expert local guys, running the Little White at very high water this April.

Then their's the North Fork of the Payette in Idaho, with it's own extreme slalom course. Big stuff. Very cool video. We did the first paddle raft descent of it in the 80's. The sport has taken off since then, per the interviewee's remarks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News