ADVERTISEMENT

NIL IDEA

coreyegner

Duck Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 24, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I wonder if the NCAA will adopt a "slotting" system for NIL players.

My memory on this is a little fuzzy, but I recall that the NFL used to have issues with initial salaries for rookie players. For instance, one 1st round QB would be offered $8M from his new team while the QB drafted right behind him might be offered $10M.

Additionally, teams would offer huge guaranteed bonuses ($50M).

I believe that the NFL then instituted a Rookie Wage Scale (for lack of a better term). Essentially they said that 1st Round QB rookies could make up to X amount of dollars per year in their rookie contract.

They also got rid of the huge bonuses.

The teams, the players, and the agents all knew in advance what the wage was going to be...the players got put in a wage "slot.'"

The result was that the "Rookie Money" went down, but the money that proven veterans signed new contracts for went up.

What if the NCAA did the same thing (it's apparently legal to do so).

Incoming QBs could make a maximum of, say, $1M. Centers maybe come in at $500K. It would be the same for every team.

Additionally, there would be a "salary Cap" just like the NFL. Maybe something like $15M per year for the whole team.

This would keep teams from outright buying players and it would help schools with budgeting and with being competitive.

And, maybe, the NIL money for certain players would increase based on performance as they grew older and became "veterans." And maybe the kids that got big money as incoming freshmen get nothing as upperclassmen if they are sitting on the bench.

All of these ideas are fraught with problems and the implementation and enforcement would be a nightmare--but so is paying some kid fresh out of high school $13M before he's even had a practice.

Personally, I think that a 4-year scholarship that's probably worth over $100K and includes lodging, books, tutoring, dietary counseling, fame, glory, the best medical and health care, and incredible food at the training table, should be enough for an 18-year-old kid who would play the game for free if no one was paying.

But that's just me and I realize that not only am I in the minority but this ain't Kansas anymore.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News