ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting

diego duck

Duck Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2008
That on successive weekends we first get clobbered by a passing game...Wazzu...then by a running game....'Furd.

This weekend we face the 5th ranked passing offense in UCLA and I haven't a clue what to expect.

After watching Cal dismantle Falk by relentless assault by Justin Wicox's defense, and ASU stone cold the Huskies with minimal offense, it's fair to ask if we've taken a step backwards with more than an abundance of excuses...we don't have the depth.... or we don't have the quarterback.

One thing is clear...losing Herbert as an excuse for lapses on both sides of the ball won't hunt any better than a bird dog with inflamed adenoids.

To be honest, I really don't have a clue as to where we are or whether we are, in fact, a better team in wins and losses than last year other than in keeping the score down. Maybe that's progress.

But who expected Cal to be much better, or ASU or 'Zona. None of these had the expectation level than our Ducks in the now Irrational exuberance of the Taggart regime, where now 6 and 6 or better may be a bridge too far. Especially when we telegraph we're gonna run and run and run cause we can't pass.

Maybe this explains our ineptness on offense without Herbert...we have none. And maybe this explains why the result is the same against passing and running teams...we can't rely on defense.

We are dully predictable, void of nuance, imagination, resigned to butt the defensive wall relentlessly but ineffectually, in the hope of breaking one, sooner or later.

IMHO, the coaches at the schools above have had no more difficult task in meeting or beating expectations than the Alpha male coaching staff assembled by Taggart.

If "no excuses" is the eclipsing mantra of the day, then Willie and Co. have their work cut out for them in proving they are worth what they are handsomely paid to do.

Like everyone, I'm willing to mail this season in to give Taggart a chance to prove he's better than Mora in bringing in talent and developing them as NC players.

I'll be the first to congratulate Taggart on a season well done with what he has. But we have a tendency these days to congratulate what we expect... not what we receive.

No excuses, please.

And oh. Could the elite Taggart staff find it in their soul to break the hundred zone in penalties after half the season?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News