ADVERTISEMENT

Fan Behavior @ PAC 12 Championship

ramsuer

Duck Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 3, 2004
Although I watched the game from home, I know a married couple from church that went to Vegas to see the game. They are not alumni of either Washington or Oregon. One of them is a VA Tech alumnus and the other is Michigan alumnus. They just thought it would be fun to go. They sat on the Oregon side.

I think that they enjoyed the game. I asked them about the fan enthusiasm. They were both impressed with the fan passion. However, they were both uncomfortable with the fan violence and fan verbal aggression towards one another.

Though this couple were basically neutral, they did cheer for Oregon to win. Being that they are both very decent and kind people, the fights were shocking to them…. although they both were avid football fans in college. One of them said that he saw about 7 fist fights and countless verbal fights. However, there was one fight between multiple fans that was especially horrible.

I sheepishly asked which fan base was the most confrontational. Nate said that Husky fans were the worst but not by big margin.

We are all aware of arch rivalries and violent fan behavior. I can’t comment on a Michigan/Ohio State game, or a VA Tech / UVA game but they probably have had more than a few partisans break into fights. Stanford and USC also have a ridiculously tribal animosity towards one another. However, the Oregon Washington rivalry, when played at 5:00 after an afternoon of tailgating, was a disgrace.

I am embarrassed by our fans when I hear things like what my friends told me. There are kids, seniors, women and polite civil people that should never be subjected to this kind of pathetic behavior at an event that they go to considerable time, and expense to attend.

There will always be idiot fans. I know that some fans see this as a State rivalry. However, in truth, these are universities. When fans decide to take out their inner aggressions at a college football game they embarrass our university, and the alumni. I do not consider it an honor that we have a better behaved fan base than Washington. They set a very low standard with which to be compared.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News