ADVERTISEMENT

Dead Season Thoughts

diego duck

Duck Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2008
Starved for football and unsatisfied by NBA, NHL finals I found myself watching PAC 12 vintage game flicks...this time the 2011 Duck Rose Bowl win over Wisky. I'm sure a bunch of you did the very same thing. But what struck me was at the end of the game with barely a minute left, we nearly let the Badgers off the hook by going prevent. My point is an old one that in the end it's the defense that wins the NC and elite bowl championships. In the NC against Auburn, we out gained 'em but they crushed our goal line offense and our chances along the way. And going prevent, sagging, giving way, uses time but threatens a win and gives up points to make up.

I'd like to believe we have a different mindset now, with an aggressive approach to sealing the middle and flanks with line backers with the same murderous intent as did the Buckeyes in the last NC against our best. I like the direction of our recruitment this year in getting blunt object talent that stuffs runs up the middle and buries the perception that we are defense lite...moving our DBs up and freeing up the pass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News