ADVERTISEMENT

Best JUCO & grad transfer in Oregon history?

Scott Reed

Duck Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 17, 2003
With all of the incoming transfers this year, I got to thinking about who the best transfers in Oregon history were

Grad Transfer: This is a fairly new concept, so the pool is limited and I think just about everyone will likely agree: Vernon Adams. If he stays healthy in 2015, Oregon contends for a playoff spot; if he stays healthy for Alamo Bowl, Ducks score 60+ and win in an absolute romp.

JUCO transfer:
This one is tougher because it is very nuanced. You have Akili Smoth who had one shaky season and one season so spectacular he got drafted third over all. Then there is a list of running backs: Saladin McCullough, Reuben Droughns, Maurice Morris, LeGerrette Blount.

Because 'best' is subjective, it allows us to go beyond stats. I am going to go with Maurice Morris. What Droughns was about to do in 1998 might have given him the edge had he played the whole season. He was on pace to absolutely shatter Oregon rushing records. Blount had one great season and one infamous season, yet he has had the best pro career of any JUCO transfer. I think McCullough might have actually been the best player and had he been on the 98 team - wow.

But Morris' body of work as a Duck makes him my choice. Two 1000+ yard seasons, Fiesta Bowl win. Too many good moments and pretty much not a single bad moment for him as a Duck.

Your thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News