ADVERTISEMENT

Arroyo hate

How do you rate Marcus Arroyo as an offensive coordinator?

• He's a disaster. Predictable playcalling and a lack of imagination are wasting Herbert's talent.

• He's adequate, but he'll never be brilliant.

• It's not Arroyo's fault. Dropped passes and missed blocks are what limited the Duck offense.

• He's much better than his critics give him credit for, and he'll continue to improve.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dale Newton

Duck Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2013
I spend a lot of time on Twitter, too much time, and on that platform I can't even mention the offense or scoring or a position group without getting some pointed vitriolic response from someone blaming Arroyo for the struggles of the Oregon offense.

The Ducks were second in the conference in scoring at 34.8 points a game last year, but they did have four clunkers where they were held to 25 points or less. At times they looked stuck in quicksand, particularly on the road.

My view in looking back at last season is that the Ducks offense is likely to improve in Mario Cristobal's second year. They have a deeper offensive line and one of the best returning quarterbacks in college football. They should be more consistent in the running game, which gives them a much more solid foundation for what they're trying to do. Terrific recruiting at receiver and a good hire at receiver coach should improve the performance in that group.

Improved execution should make the playcalling look better.

In interviews this spring Arroyo has said he made a thorough review of the offensive film from last season and he plans numerous adjustments based on what worked and what didn't.

But some people are absolutely adamant that the Ducks will continue to struggle offensively unless Arroyo is replaced or supplemented by the hiring of a topnotch offensive analyst. They've picked up the idea from Dave Bartoo and others that he's just not qualified to call plays.

My impression of him is that he's a smart guy and a real student of the game. Very guarded, almost deliberately bland in interviews, which doesn't do much to enhance his profile. Many of the "offensive gurus" around the country are unabashed self promoters. Arroyo never will be.

What's your take on the state of the Oregon offense and Arroyo's stewardship of it? Is he the right guy, the wrong guy, or is it too early to tell? Can they succeed at the highest levels with him as the offensive coordinator?

Last edited:
Reactions: pmulqueeney
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News