ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona Athletics

coreyegner

Duck Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 24, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Who writes their contracts?

I have attached a long and somewhat boring ESPN article about Sean Miller's contract and what happens if he gets fired.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...dre-ayton-signing-according-fbi-investigation

(Here are the highlights, IMO):

The part that gets me is this.

If Miller gets fired with cause, he makes more money than if he were to be fired without cause!

Uh...what??

"If Miller is fired for cause, his contract is written in such a way that he would still receive more than 85 percent of the money he is owed through May 31, 2022."

"Miller's contract provides that even if he is fired with cause, the university would have to pay his base salary. The contract defines his base salary as his salary plus his peripheral salary. That adds up to roughly $10.3 million through May 2022. "

"Keeping such a percentage on a firing for cause would be unprecedented. Most coaches who are fired for cause receive no additional money past their employment date."
In a strange twist, Miller's contract somehow pays him more for getting fired with cause than without cause. The section in his current contract that references him being fired with cause mentions no reduction in base salary upon firing. But if Arizona fires him without cause, there's a 50 percent reduction noted. So if Miller is fired with cause by the university, they will owe him approximately $5.15 million more ($10.3 million versus $5.15 million) than if it fired him for no reason."
(my italics)

Who is running this zoo??!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News