ADVERTISEMENT

A Sad Day for UO

ramsuer

Duck Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 3, 2004
Our long time connection with Stanford and Cal will be changed forever now that Stanford and Cal are in a different conference than Oregon.

In my opinion, this will have a deeper impact on Oregon than it will on Washington. To those who did not grow up in, or do not live in the Bay Area, it might come a surprise how closely tied the University is to the wealthiest suburbs of San Francisco, Oakland and Silicon Valley. This has been a relationship that has benefited our university in multiple ways for over a century.

Our Northern California alumni is one of the legs upon which our university is supported. Oregon has always drawn heavily from our area, scholastically, philanthropically, and athletically. I believe that the rivalry with Stanford and UC Berkeley has given Oregon more exposure to northern CA, and Northern California to the UO. Our alumni cherished having our teams frequent visits to our area. Having the academic giants, Stanford and Berkeley, in the same conference as Oregon has been a benefit to our university.

I wish that things could have been different. Oregon did what it needed to do. My regret is that Stanford and Cal ( but especially Stanford) couldn’t have been a part of the Big 10 expansion. My biggest regret is that the conference couldn’t continue on with all 12 programs.

Here’s to our glorious past. May our future be as glorious as our past.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News