ADVERTISEMENT

A modest proposal to save CFB

brixtonpdx

Duck All-American
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2010
Portland
Ok, "save" might be a bit much. But I think something has to be done to minimize opt outs from bowl games. I mean, I understand why a player expected to go high in the coming NFL draft might choose to forego the bowl practices and bowl game (especially when not a CFP or New Years 6 game) for fear of suffering a career altering injury, but it's just so demoralizing and tarnishes the whole CFB experience from a fan perspective, and CFB is nothing without fans. I don't personally agree with opting out, but I understand it.

That said, I can't think of many examples of a very highly touted player suffering a career-ending or seriously career-altering injury in the lead up to or participation in a bowl game. Ifo stands out, but, it's not too common, I don't think.

So, here's the proposal: the NCAA, the participating schools, and the bowls themselves create a self-funded insurance program that promises large, seriously life-altering payouts (i.e., $5-10 million) to any player suffering a serious injury in bowl-related activities that materially adversely impacts his draft stock. I know most schools offer similar policies to blue chippers in some instances, but the payouts there aren't as large as I'm contemplating, and apply to the entire season, and haven't stemmed the tide of opt outs to date. And, maybe nothing will prevent a true first-rounder from bailing on his teammates, but there are plenty of others who, realizing that an injury could result in a multi-million dollar payout without ever having to actually make an NFL roster, is a pretty good potential deal.

One final note: I sincerely hope the Ducks who opted out of this game felt like shit watching their teammates give their all to stay competitive in a game where they simply couldn't keep up for lack of talented depth.

Again, I get it, but don't respect it. Never have. Never will.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News