ADVERTISEMENT

4-star CB Daylen Austin talks Ducks visit: "The whole environment at Oregon is different."

Matt Moreno

Duck Blue-Chipper
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2011
California

Rivals250 cornerback Daylen Austin is not big on phone interviews, so I made the trek out to Long Beach Poly in California to speak with him about his recruitment. He is still taking part in track season right now, so the football recruiting side of things has not had all his attention. He has been able to take some visits over the last month, though, and Oregon was one of the schools to host him. He made it out to Eugene last month for a trip that went well and gave him some more insight into how things are shaping up under Dan Lanning. Austin was impressed by what he saw and his interactions with the team and coaches. He has a solid relationship with Demetrice Martin and feels there would a be a good opportunity to step in and start right away at Oregon.

Here's a portion of my conversation with him and you can read the full update at the link up top.

"They’re turning things around. I was up there before coach Lanning. So, he’s turning things around telling me that they’re trying to be like the SEC with their defense. I know their defense is going to be real nice this year, so that’s one thing I was paying attention to. The whole environment at Oregon is different. They look like they’re having fun at practice. ... I seen coach Lanning when he was at Georgia, so I wanted to see him at Oregon and see how he’s turning things around.”

USC is making him a big priority right now, and he says that Nebraska, UCLA, Oregon State and Michigan State are some of the other schools doing the same. Michigan State really has his attention right now and he had just had a lengthy conversation with the staff just before I spoke with him. I get the sense the Ducks have some work to do in this one, but he definitely enjoyed his time on campus and has a ton of respect for Lanning. As a note, his uncle is Willie McGinest and his brother Alex is a defensive back at Oregon State for some context about his situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News