ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting notes from tomorrow's War Room

Scott Reed

Duck Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 17, 2003
Some recruiting notes for you

* EddyPierre-Louis is the No. 21 overall player in the nation and the No. 2 ranked guard. He will be visiting Eugene this weekend and that is a pretty big deal. He is the kind of elite interior OL that teams covet – especially teams that want to be able to run the ball late in games to seal out wins.

Getting him to Eugene has been a major goal for the Oregon staff and A’lique Terry has done a phenomenal job building the relationship with Pierre-Louis.

But the Tampa Catholic standout is also going to be a very difficult pull for Oregon. Right now the odds on favorites for his commitment all share his home state in common. But I like this visit and it sends a strong message that the Ducks can go into Florida and compete with the SEC for an elite interior offensive lineman. Florida seems like the trendy pick now and Miami is always a threat for elite offensive linemen, but I think that the Ducks have a chance to compete here and this is going to be a weekend that tells us a lot about how the Ducks will stand up in recruiting elite linemen from SEC territory.

* Ryan Pellum is a name that we have talked about frequently, and he is scheduled to be in Eugene for another unofficial visit this week. In fact, he should be in Eugene Wednesday. This one has turned into an Oregon versus USC battle with the Trojans getting a couple of unofficial visits in the last two months.

Despite a ton of momentum for what is a home town school for Pellum, the Ducks have done a lot to stay on his list and I think part of the reason Oregon did not push hard for some other athletes that were in town recently is a desire to keep Pellum as a priority.

Pellum is not going to head into his senior season without a decision so getting another chance to continue building the long-term relationship is important so this midweek visit will give him a chance to see the new staff in action as coaches and give them a chance to spend a lot of quality time with Pellum.

* I know Michael Van Buren will be on town again this weekend, but that does not change my belief that Luke Moga is going to commit to Oregon. I think it would be a big surprise of Van Buren picked Oregon as Penn State has been recruiting him harder and longer than anyone else. The Ducks have done a really good job building a bond with Moga and the feeling here is that the Ducks are the team to beat.

* Miles Lockhart has set a commitment date, and though he has Oregon in his final group of four schools, it would be a major shock if he chose anyone other than Ohio State. But this is a name to keep an eye on for later – just in case he has to make a different choice.

* Brandon Baker is going to be in Eugene for the Spring Game. As recruiting profile has picked up, so too has interest from every corner of the nation. I think this is one that A’lique Terry can still find a way to win, but this battle is going to be very tough, It is a good get for Oregon to get him in town for the Spring Game.

* If you did not see it, four-star wide receiver James Madison made a trip to Eugene early this week. The 6-3, 190-pound St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, FL) star is an intriguing prospect given the other names that Oregon has recruited for wide receiver.

While it might seem like he is a longshot to some, he has known Lanning a long time and has already been to Eugene once last April.

A lesser-known fact is that Madison is originally from Lanning's neck of the woods – Kansas City. That is going to have some value as Madison continues the recruiting process. He talked with Rivals after that visit and shared his thoughts on Lanning.

“I’ve known head coach Dan Lanning for a long time, so just knowing what type of guy he is and how he’s trying to build the program is really comfortable,” shared Madison. “Being able to feel like I could go there and know what I’m expected of and know what to do to be able to win.”

Might still be a tough get, but having two unofficial visits speaks volumes to the level of interest on his part.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News