ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Coordinator: Hire getting close?

Scott Reed

Duck Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 17, 2003
Okay, so it is not a done deal. Yet.

But what I have heard through the grapevine is that Moorhead is the top target right now. In fact, I heard that it has gone to the stage of working on numbers. This is not to say that it is a done deal because – as we know – when it gets to discussing numbers there are a host of potential hangups; total dollars, years, buyout, etc. Any of those things could squash the No. 1 choice.

In the mean-time, there will be other names floated and even a couple more visits by those who have already done a preliminary interview with Mario. Some of that is subterfuge and some of that is that you never stop recruiting and that includes coaches.

Worried about Baylor? Don’t be. Arkansas State HC Blake Anderson is a former Baylor player and the likely top target with the departure of Matt Rhule - and Baylor is not going to hire Moorhead right now as HC.

As for Washington, they are all in on Kellen Moore right now, but I don’t think that happens; McCarthy is going to do everything he can to keep him on staff and I think that his affinity for the former BSU folks will be overridden by the reality that he is an NFL coach. After him, I think that their top choice is Chip Long. That would be a good hire for them.

So why have they not made that call to hire Long yet? One, because they like Moore better; but two because Long wants the Oregon job and is No. 2 behind Moorhead. Had Moorhead not been fired by Mississippi State, I would be willing to bet that there would already be an OC in place; but he was and now here we are.

This is also a best case scenario for Oregon because Moorhead is a QB coach and a fantastic recruiter. Is he as good as Long on the trail? No. But he is still really good and will do well, IMO.

NOTE: I AM NOT PUTTING THIS on social media because this is just for our paying members. These things have a tendency to get blown up on social media and that is not my intention. I don’t need the vainglory of getting credit for breaking news; let Bruce Feldman get that. I just want to share with our paying members what I hear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News