ADVERTISEMENT

MY REALIGNMENT TAKE (FOR TODAY ...LOL)

coreyegner

Duck Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 24, 2008
Portland, Oregon
So many options, variables, and decisions for the Ducks et al. And it all needs to happen quickly.

The way that I see it (and none of this is an original thought of mine):

1. There are two Super Conferences. Right now they are ESPN and FOX.

2. There may well be animosity between the two now, even though they have "helped each other out" with scheduling up to now.

3. There will most likely be the extinction (or total degradation) of at least one major conference this summer. Probably the PAC or the BIG 12.

4. Schools outside of the Top 50...60...80...whatever, are gonna play football for fun and for their fans...if the fans even show up.

5. Notre Dame is the key, the linchpin right now. The BIG 10 wants them badly. ND wants to stay independent and may have the horsepower to pull that off...or they may not. The chance that the ACC can pull them in for CFB is ZERO. The BIG 10...?

6. For Duck fans, it gets down to the BIG 10, the BIG 12, or the PAC-SOMETHING. I don't see SEC happening thought that would be wild!

7. In my readings of sports websites...ESPN, etc...the headlines are mostly about the BIG 12 poaching UA, ASU, UT, and CU...and offering UO and UW....thereby ensuring the BIG 12's survival (at least for now) and killing the PAC. But in this scenario, the Ducks and the Dawgs would rather hold out and see if they can join the BIG 10.

8. For those of us with West Coast roots, this means the end of relevance for OSU and WSU and Cal and Stanford.

9. Except for (#1) the fact that Cal and Stanford are schools in one of the largest metropolitan markets in the West. Further, Standford has traditional rivalries with Notre Dame (remember them?) and USC (traitors).

10. Except for (#2)...it seems as if Cal doesn't give a rip and nobody watches them anyways so...what does that mean? I surely don't know. Would the powers that be at Cal be just as happy if the Bears played UC-Davis every week?

11. So most of the stuff that I have read has the BIG-12 absorbing or killing off the PAC.

12. Except for Wilner and Canzano.

13. Without spending the time to look up and post sources and links...I believe that what they are saying is that the PAC will enter into a Special Alliance with the ACC (hopefully on paper...burn me once...).
Just like last year but without the BIG 10. (See my previous post about the BIG 10's integrity).

14. This may make some sense because they already have an "Alliance" in place with the ACC. (F the BIG 10...sorry).

15. So...still with me?...lol....The PACC , may well turn into a powerful #3 conference...with headliners like OREGON, WASHINGTON, CAL, STANFORD, UTAH, COLORADO, ASU, AND UA et al from the PAC and CLEMSON, MIAMI. VIRGINIA TECH, NORTH CAROLINA, FLORIDA STATE, PITTSBURG, et al from the ACC.

16. Now if you want to consider basketball...think DUKE, NORTH CAROLINA, NORTH CAROLINA STATE, MIAMI, VIRGINIA, NOTRE DAME, LOUISVILLE, etc..

17. So if we get an Alliance with the ACC...then we go and try to poach a couple of BIG 12 schools...KANSAS (basketball, duh!), Baylor and ??

17. All of this now puts the PACC as the presumptive #3 CFB Conference, and the BIG 12, on Life Support.

18. There are many reports that our Commissioner is "kicking ass" behind the scenes to save the PAC.

AND NOWHERE CAN I FIND ANY SCRAP OF INFO ABOUT THE NCAA HAVING A HAND IN ANY OF THIS. As far as Division1 CFB goes, they are obsolete IMHO.

My take is that if Notre Dame decides to join the BIG 10 right away, then the Ducks and Uncle Phil will do whatever it takes to get us invited.

Failing that, I think that our best bet is to have an "alliance" with the ACC, and poach a couple of other teams from the BIG 12 if we can.

ALL OF THIS IS DRIVEN BY ESPN AND FOX. ESPN SEEMS TO NEED MORE PROGRAMMING...AND THEY SEEM TO NEED MORE PROGRAMMING IN THE WEST.

CONFERENCE LOYALTIES, RIVALRIES, ETC, MEAN NOTHING TODAY.

What any or all of this mean for all of the other sports other than Men's BB...I have no clue.

Cheers!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News