ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching circus update...

A.J. Jacobson

Duck Hall of Famer
Staff
Apr 3, 2002
Eugene, Oregon
12/1/17 2:50 pm update

Justin Herbert addressing media. Said that Taggart had not talked to the team much about FSU and that they aren't spending time on it.

Jalen Jelks: "We just kind of keep it as a team thing right now. We kind of talked about it small and shortly. He (Taggart) said 'I'm with you guys and I'm with the Ducks.'

For his part, Taggart said he talked with his players in a team meeting.

"I addressed it with them as soon as I got back from recruiting," said Taggart. "I explained to them and also used it as a teaching moment, to make them understand how it all works. How social media works, how rumors work. I’m open and honest with our players and will always be that way with them"

Taggart said neither he nor his agent has been contacted by FSU but, he said about his Oregon contract extension: "My agent and they are all looking through the contract. When all things are as supposed to be we’ll go from there."

Asked if he would be the football coach at Oregon next year. "Why wouldn’t I be. I’m the football coach."

12/1/17 1:45 pm update

Taggart scheduled for a pre-practice availability today at 2:00 pm. It will actually be later than that, I would expect it to start around 2:30. We will surely ask him all the questions about FSU. But I would not think he will answer them other than to say he is happy at Oregon and he has not spoken to anybody.

From the FSU perspective, it is becoming clear that Taggart is at least one of their top candidates. The other relevant item coming from our FSU sources is that they want to move very fast on this hire.

Also interestingly, Fisher wanted to coach tomorrow but since the writing was on the wall, FSU asked him to resign now. So we are where we are: FSU with a coaching vacancy and their fan base more or less uniting behind wanting Taggart.

12/1/17 10:25 am update

Jimbo Fisher takes the TAMU job as expected. Now the FSU search committee can get going in earnest and we will find out how serious they are about WT.

Fwiw, I spoke to an excellent source a few minutes ago and he confirmed that there has been no offer between WT and FSU yet. They have not indicated who their short list is yet but Taggart will probably be included.

12/1/17 6:50 am update

Just to put a little perspective on things, I am hearing that despite rumors to the contrary, there is no deal, at all, between Taggart and FSU at this point. There has been absolutely no "assembling of staff" or anything even remotely like it.

At this point, FSU is simply in preparation mode in case Fisher jumps to TAMU. That is seen as very likely by both camps. Both schools are preferring that Fisher not coach on Saturday. That tells me that both schools think it's a done deal.

So right now FSU is in the process of vetting names and preparing contingencies in case something opens. They have not offered anybody or are even close to it. Any rumors otherwise are incorrect and self-serving.

On the other hand, how in the world could there be a contract in place, an assembly of staff...without a coaching search? Does that smell right?

Think to yourself...If I am right and there is nothing to the rumors of FSU putting together some deal with WT (as of today)...then who would benefit from spreading such rumors? Who would do that and why?

An agent negotiating a contract extension maybe?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News