ADVERTISEMENT

BB vs SMU

PorterStarrByrd

Duck Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Nov 17, 2013
Moose Wallow, Maine
Unlike the football trend my heart wasn't challenged. Oregon scored NBA style vs what looked like NBA defense (not very much) and passed the 50 point pace easily before the first quarter was done and matched it by halftime. From there things slowed down a bit but another 86 point game created a sizable margin.

Against an enabling SMU barrier the Ducks hit at least their first five 3 point shots, from the hands of four different marksmen. Overall Oregon didn't miss many shots at all and had offensive rebounds on some of the misses. This team can score a lot of points regardless of who is on the floor in what will become Altman's routine rotation. I think the combination of Guerrier and Williams is going to be close to what Duarte and Williams did last year. Eric has improved an already good game Quincy has the same skill set, a little less developed, than Duarte had. We'll see.

"We'll see" is kind of the operative phrase for now. There is a lot promise and some things to work on. This is only the second time this group has been out on the floor for real so it should be a few games before they gel, then continue to improve. Last night the primary improvement needed was foul shot shooting though Altman has a few other factors that need more than just a little polishing. Every guy on the team should be shooting 100 or so foul shots, when they are tired, some of them with a coach to point out whatever little things needing adjustment. In the first game the Ducks shot well from the stripe so I am not terribly worried about what they can do,

Big man play is another creaking joint in the machine. I saw things from all three that I liked, and areas that need some work. Frank again, as in the opener, show flashes of dominance but not a complete game. I'm not worried when he is out there as I would be if we had to rely on Johnson or Bittle. Neither has what I would want from a starter though I think both can get there. They also are too obviously freshmen for whom the game has not slowed down yet. Johnson seems to have pretty good eyes as evidenced by a nice assist. Bittle can get to the right spot but can't easily complete his defensive assignment without fouling. They'll get there.

While the Ducks played some nice defense, forcing most of the turnovers SMU had rather than waiting for unforced errors, they are still at the point where they are learning what their teammates will be doing so they can rely on them. It's a pretty normal thing after so little time on the court together. Under the basket, the combination of bigs and quicks causes the opposition some real problems. Not so much from beyond the arc. If the Ponies shot as accurately on open shots as the Ducks did, it would have been a closer, maybe exciting for visitor fans, game. Once we have a couple of reliable guys in the paint on defense, I think this will improve. Those quicks will be able to play closer to the three point line.

It also seems like the Ducks aren't really in game shape yet. No dangerous surprise. They started out fast and were more than SMU could handle as evidenced by the lopsided score early. The visitors closed the gap to 15 by half time and lost the second stanza by fewer points though the Ducks did outscore them again. I'm sure some of it was due to halftime adjustments but more than I liked came from missing shots, both from the outside, where misses are more common anyway, but also cripples that should have been gathered, and had been in the early part of the game. The miscues were by solid players and I expect that with some time on the court this will become less common. I really think the guys were just a little spent, not used to 40 minutes of competitive basketball.

Still, I am extremely happy with what I watch out there. The team is miles ahead of where they were at this point last year, Having no extreme Covid limitations is part of it while having Richardson healthy is a bigger deal. He is the next Oregon first round draft pick, maybe not as high as Duarte, perhaps ahead of Pritchard. Williams and Guerrier provide a solid steady influence. I haven't said much about Jacob young yet but will be doing so along with everyone else soon. I think he's another first rounder coming. Most of his damage has been in the first half when he exploits, sometime creates, opportunity and finishes. Once he is needed for a full game he will answer the bell and could be "the guy" in addition to Richardson.

Wow!.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News