ADVERTISEMENT

McCoy to UNLV

Wow!!

This is a surprise for sure. If he wants to be a one and done why to UNLV? Not a ton of talent around him at this point.

Wow!!

This is a surprise for sure. If he wants to be a one and done why to UNLV? Not a ton of talent around him at this point.
Maybe that is the point. The more I think about it, the more I think he wanted to be the one to stand out and get noticed. You can definitely do that if you are the best one on your team or the only one on your team. Best of luck for him but this makes me feel like...

giphy.gif

Hmmmm....well. I guess Coach A has some more options he can consider now.

Can't say I understand why McCoy chose UNLV (might be just a TOUCH of homerism on my part there), but I hope things work out well for him - unless he plays Oregon.

He was such a great fit for the Ducks. Doesn't make sense.

If we are being honest. He would've been a great fit at any school. But let's not pretend that we run our offense through the center here at Oregon. Guards and wings get much more play in Dana's offense. It's a business decision and he made one that will benefit him long term.

If we are being honest. He would've been a great fit at any school. But let's not pretend that we run our offense through the center here at Oregon. Guards and wings get much more play in Dana's offense. It's a business decision and he made one that will benefit him long term.

Nah.... dirty. Has that univ of Mississippi football smell to it.

Reactions: SoCalDuck7
Nah.... dirty. Has that univ of Mississippi football smell to it.

You've been on this board since 2002. Please tell me you aren't going to stick with the "dirty" angle? Recruiting is dirty. You should expect it, not be surprised.

Reactions: loodog26
You've been on this board since 2002. Please tell me you aren't going to stick with the "dirty" angle? Recruiting is dirty. You should expect it, not be surprised.

I am going to stick with it and I probably shouldn't be surprised that this stuff continues to happen. Unlv (14 wins last year in a crap conference) over MSu, Arizona and Oregon. Yeah, I'm sure nothing shady happened. ..

I am going to stick with it and I probably shouldn't be surprised that this stuff continues to happen. Unlv (14 wins last year in a crap conference) over MSu, Arizona and Oregon. Yeah, I'm sure nothing shady happened. ..

Can't fault the kid if he just liked it the best. Might help him develop as "the guy". Surely isn't for college glory, as UNLV has 3 NCAA tournament wins since '91

Could it be a "qualifying issue?" Are Oregon's admission standards higher than UNLV's?

Big men make big plays. McCoy fit the Oregon scheme like a glove. He's as athletic as Bell with a better mid and long range jumpshot. He's strong with the ball and has exceptional footwork. He can back in on the low block or face the hoop and make a move off the dribble. His versatility is exactly why I feel he would have done better at Oregon. Altman would have made him a better player but, if I had to guess, I would guess Altman wanted at least two years.

Reactions: jharrington97404
I had a bad feeling about this one from the beginning. The Ducks were up against something that we couldn't overcome. It felt that way while we "WAITED."

Bringing a big into a program is like pulling teeth or giving birth. (I've been told)

p.s. I'm really glad it's over with! It felt weird. Onward to what can be done!

GOooo Ducks!

EDIT: So, Now it as been suggested that the NCAA interview his parents and ask about "new jobs, new income, etc."

Last edited:
Reactions: Hands Down Duck
Big men make big plays. McCoy fit the Oregon scheme like a glove. He's as athletic as Bell with a better mid and long range jumpshot. He's strong with the ball and has exceptional footwork. He can back in on the low block or face the hoop and make a move off the dribble. His versatility is exactly why I feel he would have done better at Oregon. Altman would have made him a better player but, if I had to guess, I would guess Altman wanted at least two years.
He chose to not attend and participate in a well developed program b/c he turned them all down. AZ, OR, Mich St. Something did feel odd about this one. We'll see in time.
GOooo Ducks!

Last edited:
Have to agree
My thought was DA got Wooten and wasn't so hard pressed to get another big. McCoy is one and done. Wooten will stick around for a while.

And his families.

Life goes on. Good luck to him. My gut says his goals did not align with the team. Pretty sure DA is not interested in a culture of one and done egomaniacs. Doesn't fit him nor this school.

This surprises and disappoints me but I have no idea what was the basis for his decision. His priority is clearly not playing at the highest level week in and week out in college and not just because he didn't pick Oregon. He didn't pick a lot of schools that play in tough conferences. Hopefully he enjoys his year in Vegas and best of luck to him.

Question for those who are posting about payoffs....what do you guys say when fans of other schools say the same about our Ducks?

I know nothing factual about anyone's case, I just thinks it's interesting to see us make those claims after having to deal with it ourselves.

Question for those who are posting about payoffs....what do you guys say when fans of other schools say the same about our Ducks?

I know nothing factual about anyone's case, I just thinks it's interesting to see us make those claims after having to deal with it ourselves.

Doesnt matter... its obvious..

Reactions: Rhinoduck
1. Because every school can admit someone at the NCAA minimums, no, this is not a qualifying issue.
2. USC fans said it was "obvious" Oregon paid DAT. People everywhere said it was "obvious" Oregon paid Lache Seastrunk. I have no clue what led to him choosing UNLV. At least he won't be playing against Oregon next year is all I can say.

There is a difference here dude. If Oregon was basically a middle of the pack team in a shit conference and this happened in Oregon's favor, you better believe many would think money changed hands.

I don't blame the kid for going to the highest bidder. The argument that his education being paid for is all the payments he needs for making money for whatever institution he is a part of does not hold water for me. 90% of these guys barely even attend class. This includes all the money making sports. They are there for one reason and that is a paycheck.

To Scott's example about DAT and Seastrunk. We DID pay for Seastrunk in a backhanded way and if Oregon was UNLV and DAT dumped USC for them then there would be something but for a kid to choose the team (at that time) who was actually the class of the conference over a team that had proven for a few years that their coaches office was a downright disaster...that's a non-story.

This surprises and disappoints me but I have no idea what was the basis for his decision. His priority is clearly not playing at the highest level week in and week out in college and not just because he didn't pick Oregon. He didn't pick a lot of schools that play in tough conferences. Hopefully he enjoys his year in Vegas and best of luck to him.

I think AJ hit this one on the head, even if that wasn't his point. The kid's a "one and done." He doesn't care about a college career, but if he's gotta spend a year somewhere, damn of it ain't gonna be Sin City, where he'll be fawned over by all manner of high rollers and their entourages.

If you didn't care about your job but had to spend a year living somewhere just as a holding pen, would you choose Eugene, Tucson, East Lansing, or Vegas?

Reactions: SoCalDuck7
I think AJ hit this one on the head, even if that wasn't his point. The kid's a "one and done." He doesn't care about a college career, but if he's gotta spend a year somewhere, damn of it ain't gonna be Sin City, where he'll be fawned over by all manner of high rollers and their entourages.

If you didn't care about your job but had to spend a year living somewhere just as a holding pen, would you choose Eugene, Tucson, East Lansing, or Vegas?
Now? Eugene. When I was a kid? Eugene (never really liked Vegas outside of a couple of days). But I see your point.

Now? Eugene. When I was a kid? Eugene (never really liked Vegas outside of a couple of days). But I see your point.

I've never even been to Vegas, but I can understand why an 18 or 19 year old baller who's about to become a multi-million millionaire might choose the distractions it offers.

ADVERTISEMENT