ADVERTISEMENT

Flock Talk: Football Serendipity

Scott Reed

Duck Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 17, 2003
Good morning,

I am just posting the entire article here since it won't go live until 8:00 and I will be sort of busy. Dan Lanning did a long interview on Bussin' With the Boys in which he talked about the days leading up to his first interview and the follow up calls that were really moments that were just pure serendipity. I wanted to expand on that today so here you go:

FOOTBALL SERENDIPITY

Sometimes fortune finds you, sometimes you find fortune, and sometimes the two sides find each other at just the right time. I remember vividly the lead up to the departure of Mario Cristobal and I know that the (recruiting) heights to which Oregon had risen felt like it was in jeopardy. The Ducks had – rightly or not – started to be classified by some as a steppingstone program following two departures in the span of four years for ‘dream jobs’ that had come open.

In December 2021, the Oregon Ducks football program found itself at a crossroads. The departure of former head coach Mario Cristobal left a void that needed filling, and the search for his successor began in earnest. Little did they know their fortunes were about to change dramatically with the arrival of Dan Lanning.

Lanning, then the defensive coordinator for the University of Georgia, might not have anticipated the turn of events that led him to Oregon. As he recounted on a recent episode of Bussin’ with the Boys, the opportunity to interview for head coaching positions had crossed his path before, but this particular one caught him off guard. "You don't know when it's going to come," Lanning remarked, reflecting on the unpredictability of such moments.

The pivotal moment came amidst a flurry of activity. "I'm actually flying on a trip to Miami to do official visits," Lanning recalled, his mind still immersed in the Orange Bowl preparations with Georgia. Amidst the hustle and bustle of recruiting, an unexpected call changed the trajectory of his career. "I get a call saying, 'Hey, these guys want to hop on a Zoom,'" Lanning recounted, describing the impromptu meeting that kickstarted the whirlwind process of his recruitment by Oregon.

From that moment on, the pace quickened, and Lanning found himself propelled into a new chapter faster than he could have imagined. "It really escalated really fast after that night," he admitted. The initial Zoom call was followed by a flurry of phone calls, each one bringing him closer to the realization that his path was about to take an unexpected turn. "There were times where I thought I would get offered a head coaching job and I didn't," Lanning reflected, emphasizing the uncertainty inherent in such transitions. "And then this one was probably one that I didn't think was necessarily (going to)."

What made the Oregon opportunity stand out was its uniqueness and alignment with Lanning's vision for his coaching career. "I didn't have a connection to Oregon," he admitted. "I'd never been to Oregon till I got off the plane here as the head coach." Despite his lack of familiarity with the state or the program, Lanning was drawn to the clarity of vision and the sense of alignment he felt during the recruitment process. "Every one of them is different," he mused, "and this one, you could tell that there was a really unique vision, and it was all in sync, it all aligned with what you'd want as a head coach."

For Oregon football, the arrival of Dan Lanning represented a lot more than just a coaching change; while there was plenty of trepidation about bringing in another outsider with no ties to the program or region – and one who had never been a head coach – there was a glimmer of hope given during his opening press conference.

There was an aura that he exuded that made a lot of people start to feel like maybe he was different; maybe the Ducks had found the right combination of loyalty, recruiting, and football IQ to take the Ducks to the one level that has not yet been achieved.

During his introductory press conference as the new head coach of the Oregon Ducks, Lanning expressed profound gratitude and excitement for the opportunity. "Man, it feels great to be a Duck." "He thanked the university administration, former players, and the community for their support. Lanning emphasized his commitment to building a program of sustained success, both on and off the field, highlighting the importance of player development and community engagement, noting, "We won’t shy from expectations and our goal is to compete for national championships here.

He spoke passionately about his coaching philosophy, stressing the importance of a relentless pursuit of excellence, a lunch pail mentality, and a focus on player-centered coaching. Lanning outlined his vision for the team's style of play, emphasizing aggression and discipline on both offense and defense, and a commitment to recruiting top talent.

Addressing questions about his lack of head coaching experience, Lanning emphasized his lifelong learning approach and the invaluable lessons he learned from coaching under esteemed mentors like Nick Saban and Kirby Smart. He expressed confidence in his ability to lead the team to success and emphasized the importance of assembling the right coaching staff.

Lanning also touched on his impressions of Eugene, his excitement for the 2022 season, and his long-term commitment to the program. He assured fans that Oregon football under his leadership would be characterized by excellence, integrity, and a relentless competitive spirit.

That moment helped herald a new era filled with promise and potential. His journey from a chance Zoom call in an airport to the helm of a prestigious football program is a testament to the serendipitous nature of opportunity and the power of seizing the moment. As Lanning continues to build the program from the inside out, Duck fans can't help but feel optimistic about the future that lies ahead. With his leadership and vision, the Oregon football program is poised to soar to new heights as it enters the Big -10 for the 2024 season.

RECRUITING THOUGHTS

Headed into the weekend there are not a ton of new updates.

The staff are on some trips to check out different schools and make their rounds. There is a fundraising event this weekend at which several coaches from different sports are scheduled to participate which will keep them occupied for a little bit, but will not affect their recruiting much. These are the things that some coaches (Chip Kelly) hated, but Lanning gets – donors and boosters are essentially major customers of the football program and this is just a part of the deal.

I know the staff would love to have both DeSaahn Brame and Linkon Cure as tight end commits in the 2025 class, and that they are really working hard on Cure, but I still think that – right now – that seems unlikely.

Brame, on the other hand, is someone I think makes a commitment sooner rather than later and I really like where Oregon sits right now with the elite tight end.

I was asked how quickly I think Peyton Woodyard makes a decision. I don’t know if he announces Sunday or if he wants to wait and work on some sort of edit, but it would not surprise me if he committed within 24 hours of his trip ending. He is scheduled to be in Eugene Friday afternoon and leaves Sunday early int eh afternoon.

All for now, have a great weekend all!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News