ADVERTISEMENT

DSA Inside Read: Early edition

Scott Reed

Duck Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 17, 2003
You guys get the early edition here on the boards. Article will be up in the morning.

There is a lot to review from the weekend so we will jump right into a look back at a massive recruiting event with SNL Saturday night. As would be expected when there are that many elite players in one place, it is almost impossible to review the performance of every player that was there – so we will look at as much as we can.

WR position was loaded

When you have a player like Dakorien Moore lined up next to 2026 receiver Chris Henry, Jr. that seems obvious. Add in visitor Michael Terry and that is still only the tip of the iceberg for the talent on hand.

But this was not just about three wide receivers as several other young players really shined Saturday night. I thought that the player who really helped himself the most was Terrance Saryon. He caught the eye of Junior Adams in the best way possible and earned himself an offer at the event. He may not have the star rankings just yet, but if he keeps showing out next spring, he could rocket up the charts.

With scholarship limitations raised (but overall roster size reduced), this is one of those offers that is about the future. I like what I heard about his work ethic and his route running and hands.

Kendre Harrison is the real deal

This tight end is the real deal. He moves on the football field exactly how you would expect a nimble forward to move on the football field. He is big, strong, and fast and has all of the tools to be an every down tight end. He is the best in the nation for the 2026 class for a reason.

McKay Madsen is a name to watch

The 2025 ‘athlete’ can play a version of H-back or linebacker, but his skillset looks a lot more like a very good linebacker at the next level and he showed a lot of ability Saturday night.

I don’t know if Oregon is going to try to make a big move here, but there are a lot of good vibes on this one. Prior to his performance, he was really down to BYU and UCLA. Did this event change that? Stay tuned.

Trey McNutt is elite

If there was any question about how good he is, that question was answered Saturday night. He is a five-star and did not need to participate – but he did, and he looked every bit the part of a top 20 level player and one of the best safeties in the nation.

So where does Oregon stand? This one is really difficult to read because no one is giving a clue. Given how much has been written about other prospects earlier in July where ‘moments’ were ruined through overzealousness, I think this one is being played closer top the vest.

What I know is that the airline delays were the reason for the changed commitment date – but that did open the door for both Texas A&M and Oregon to continue recruiting him. Do I think this is a case of ‘last visit wins’ in recruiting? Not necessarily.

There is a lot of noise about his family moving to Houston and that giving the Aggies a lead, but I am not sure how much that really matters. When the family was in Ohio, everyone was prepared for him to leave the state. His mother is very supportive of his independence and I don’t think this is a case where he would be doing something just to stay close and keep the peace.

Most of the folks I have talked to think that McNutt is still likely going to pick Oregon at his commitment, but this one will not be over as I believe Texas A&M made a really strong push and they won’t let up until papers are signed.

Other notes:

I thought Elbert Hill looked very good as well. He has very good recovery speed and can make plays on the ball.

Immanuel Iheanacho is a massive human being who is going to make someone very happy next year. The Ducks still have some work to do but the atmosphere and facilities impressed him a lot.

Jonas Williams looked like he could be one of those QBs that Oregon pursues a little more heavily after his performance. The staff already really liked him, but his performance Saturday really amped up their excitement. I have been on the Ryder Lyons or bust notes for a while, but Williams changed my mind.

Caden Jones is a 2027 QB to keep an eye on as well.

Josiah Molden is the youngest son of former Duck Alex Molden – and he might just be the best of all Molden’s. By the time he arrives on a campus he is going to be an instant impact defender. This is a legacy recruit that I know the staff does not want to lose and they will continue really working hard and not taking for granted that his last name will get him to Oregon.

COMMIT IMPACT: Tradarian Ball

The Ducks also picked up a commitment from 2026 running back Tradarian Ball Saturday before the event started. This is a solid addition to the class of 2026 which promises to be loaded with elite talent once again for Oregon. Today we take a quick look at his film with this scouting report:

Strengths:
1. Explosiveness and Versatility:

• Demonstrates significant versatility, capable of playing as a running back and a receiver.
  • Exhibits explosive acceleration, allowing him to become a big-play threat in various offensive scenarios, including hand-offs, screen passes, and downfield targets.
2. Athleticism and Playmaking Ability:
  • Known for making quick, decisive cuts and sudden changes of direction.
  • Shows creativity in open-field running, often turning potential small gains into long runs thanks to his speed and vision.
3. Receiving Skills:
  • Established a solid receiving foundation with two dozen catches as a sophomore.
  • Not only catches passes from the backfield but also aligns wide and in the slot, demonstrating route-running proficiency and downfield tracking.
4. Speed and Agility:
  • Plays with effortless speed, highlighted by explosive initial bursts.
  • Effective in the open field with the ability to stack cuts and navigate through defenders efficiently.
5. Potential for Versatility:
  • More than just a traditional running back; can be a multi-dimensional offensive weapon.
  • Combines running back touches with receiving opportunities, making him a dual-threat player who can challenge defenses in multiple ways.
Areas for Improvement:

1. Physical Development:

• Though he displays good contact balance, he will benefit from adding more mass and strength to his frame.
2. Running Style:
  • Sometimes runs with an upright posture and a narrow base, which could be adjusted to enhance his durability and effectiveness in contact situations.
Overall Assessment: Tradarian Ball is a dynamic offensive talent with the versatility to impact games both as a running back and a receiver. His explosive speed, agility, and vision make him a home run threat anytime he touches the ball. While he may not be the most physically imposing player, his ability to make plays in space and his developed receiving skills provide him with the potential to become a game-changer at the high-major collegiate level. Continued physical development and refinement of his running style will further enhance his capabilities, setting him up for a bright future in college football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.