ADVERTISEMENT

A look back at home state recruits

Brandon Gibson

Duck Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 3, 2003
Eugene, OR
The other thread and Nemec complaining about the Ducks not trying harder in-state (and elsewhere) got me thinking, how have Oregon recruits done over the years?

So, I took a look over the last 10 years (prior to this last class, as they haven't touched a football yet), and from 2006 to 2015, Oregon signed 19 Oregon kids:

Bo Thran (06)
Cody Kempt (06)

Aaron Plugrad (07)
John Laidet (07)
Myles Wade (07)

Scott Grady (08)

Taylor Hart (09)

Keanon Lowe (10)
Curtis White (10)

Colt Lyerla (11)
James Euscher (11)
Tyson Coleman (11)

Brett Bafaro (12)
Alex Balducci (12)
Oshay Dunmore (12)

Thomas Tyner (13)
Doug Brenner (13)
Evan Voeller (13)

Henry Mondeaux (14)

How many of these kids ended up playing their entire career at Oregon (or are on track currently)?

8 out of 19, including current players Brenner, Voeller, and Mondeaux. So if we ignore the current 3, that is 5 out of 16 since 2006 that have put in a full career at Oregon (Thran, Hart, Lowe, Coleman, Balducci).

what about the other 11?

Transfers - Kempt, Plugrad, Laidet, Grady, Bafaro

Injuries - White, Euscher, Tyner

Kicked off team - Lyerla, Dunmore

DNQ - Wade

Interestingly, the Ducks have not had a single year in which they have had 2 successful recruits (full career at Oregon). If Voeller and Brenner complete their careers, they will be the first duo since the 2004 class (Linehan, Keeling, Faaeteete)

Sure, a few good ones have gotten away, but in those cases, there were often unchangeable factors (e.g., Engineering major).

I guess this brings us back to Nemec's concern about the in-state recruits. Last year Oregon landed 4 kids, but prior to that, in-state kids haven't been a main component of Oregon's system. Recruiting Oregon becomes important only if it improves the Ducks, not as a function of location.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News